Impostor Syndrome

This page I found online defines Impostor Syndrome as:

a collection of feelings of inadequacy that persist even in face of information that indicates that the opposite is true.

It’s a common psychological term which I am intimately familiar with.

This is my first post on this brand new blog, which is a part of the first assignment for a course that I decided to brave this semester – Digital Storytelling 106 (DS106).  I’m taking it for elective credits through my university, but anyone (yes, you too) can take it online for free.

So… what does all this have to do with impostor syndrome?  Well, let me give you a brief rundown of why I think I’m an impostor here:

1. I don’t speak the lingo. I feel like I’ve just landed in a foreign country.
  2. No one else in the class seems to be panicking as much as me. I feel so technically challenged.
  3. #2 may have something to do with the fact that I’m older than most of their parents.
  4. It took me two weeks just to come up with the perfect domain name, which is worthy of a tutorial all on its own at another time.
  5. What was the question again?

I think that pretty much covers it.  I definitely feel overwhelmed, but I haven’t run away yet. I’m still here.  I’m up for the challenge.  What’s the worst that could happen?

Our first assignment was to sign up for a domain and web hosting and start a blog.  I followed this tutorial step by step, and here I am!!

So far, so good…

This entry was posted in DS106, Slider, Thoughts, etc. and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Impostor Syndrome

1. leelzebub says:

Bah! You are no imposter. You’re ahead of the game. I think you’ve got a far greater handle on this stuff than most of the other students so far! Don’t worry about feeling so overwhelmed; ds106 really throws you into the deep end at the beginning, but you soon get comfortable and begin the good stuff.

2. lindamckenna says:

Thank you Norm!!
    You don’t know how encouraging it is to meet someone who can relate, ’cause I’m always asking myself, “Is it only me, and is it bad?”
    I’m looking forward to the DS adventure. 🙂

3. lindamckenna says:

Gee, thank you! 🙂 But it always seems to me like I somehow stumble along by accident…

I purchased my domain at GoDaddy.com because I was going by the instructions I had previously found online from last semester, otherwise I would have gone with Hover as recommended. I chose Cast Iron Coding for web hosting. I haven’t run into any problems with either provider.

4. Norm Wright says:

Greetings fellow imposter.
    I just had to stop and comment on your post here. I hadn’t heard of this particular syndrome, but I understood it immediately. And aside from a few inconsequential differences, I’m right in step with your 5 points. At least you’re here for some elective credits; I’m only here because… Actually I don’t remember why.
    This is my second online course, and I can understand that overwhelmed feeling. I learned to deal with it though, and I think you’ve already found the solution too. See point #5 in your post and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
    I enjoyed reading your post. Congratulations on getting your blog online. And thanks for your open and candid introduction.

5. Jim Groom says:

Imposter? I’m insanely impressed with how quickly you got everything up and running. What hosting and domain services did you use? Any snags? Seems to me you are rocking this course from the get go. What;s more, i would really love to know more about your process of picking the domain name, a post of its own?