Tutorial: Finding your Google Analytics tracking code again

Here’s my first tutorial.  It almost seems like a no-brainer, but it certainly took a little bit of searching for me to figure it out, so here it goes! Someone may actually find it useful…

It all started after I installed Google Analytics plugin following the instructions on this video:

After that, I thought I was all set.  But then when I checked my analytics the next day, everything showed up zero. 🙁  Aha! It turns out that I needed to also paste the tracking code from my analytics account into my theme. I remembered seeing the embed code when I signed up for the account, but I didn’t know where to find it again.  Not only that, whenever you change your theme, you have to embed the tracking code all over again into the new theme.  So… I decided to post this short tutorial on how to go back and get your tracking code after the fact.

First, you have to open your established Google Analytics account which looks like this:

You’ll see the “settings” icon that looks like this on the upper right hand corner of the page (I know. It seems silly to point this out, but there are people like my husband who may think it’s just a flower design for looks, so bear with me.)  Click on it.

When you see this page, click on the “Tracking Code” tab.

Then you will see the tracking code that looks like this:

You will need to copy the code and paste it into your theme.  Each theme is a little bit different, but my current one has this box in “settings” where I can insert the tracking code.

There you have it!  Please let me know if you think this tutorial was helpful, confusing, irrelevant, or just plain dumb. Go ahead. I can take it. 🙂

Still to come:  My adventure in installing a new theme.

This entry was posted in DS106, Tutorials and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Tutorial: Finding your Google Analytics tracking code again

1. lindamckenna says:

Thanks, Mandy!

2. Mandi says:

Great idea to make a tutorial for this. The tracking code can be so hard to find.

3. Jim says:

I agree with Candace, this is a model tutorial, straightforward and beautifully illustrated to make it dead simple. Brava!

4. Candice says:

Nicely done! I installed a new theme and wasn’t sure how to find the google analytics code again. The images made it easy to follow along.