Web Assignment: Revamp Your WordPress Site

I decided to choose this as my first assignment because I was going to do it anyway, so two birds with one stone, etc…

It took me a while to find a theme that I liked.  I still don’t have that much content on my blog, with only 13 posts so far.  I consider myself a minimalist, although you will knever know it looking at the current state of my desk.

Anyway, after lots of searching,  I found this site.

I looked at through the themes and narrowed down my choices to two themes:

Journal Crunch

and Fresh and Clean

I decided to try both and followed Annie’s excellent instructions shown here.

After playing around with the themes and switching back and forth several times, I finally settled on the Fresh and Clean theme.  I think it’s perfect for my blog for now.  But I will continue to be open to other themes.  If you know me at all, you’ll see many changes in the days to come.

Once I downloaded the installed the theme onto my site, it took me a while to figure out all of the small details, such as the size of the images for the slider, how to insert the images for the thumbnails, how to get the tabs to show up, etc.  The most challenging part of it all was the header.  This theme gives you the option of inserting your own logo into the header, but not clear cut instructions on how to do it.  So I will try to post tutorials on the following topics in the upcoming week (or so).

• How to size the images to show up properly on the slider and the thumbnails.
  • How to make your own header image to fit the space on your theme using Jing and Photoshop.
  • How to upload your header image into your theme.

So… in the interest of avoiding TLDR, that is it for now. 🙂

UPDATE:  Ah, but only if it were that easy.  Two days after I posted this, our server got hacked, and…  stay tuned.

This entry was posted in Assignments, DS106 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Web Assignment: Revamp Your WordPress Site

1. Pingback: What doesn’t kill us makes us… hate hackers | neverthesameriver

2. Jim says:

A quick note here Linda,

you are en fuego. Your new theme for the blog looks awesome, your blogging like a madwoman, and your work is top notch. And you were worried? Wow, I want more worried students.

3. Brian Short says:

…and now I know what TLDR means!