More Thoughts on What is Web 2.0?

Image credit (if you get a chance, read the artist’s comment under this photo in flickr. Funny. The Matrix anyone?)

I was just over at Gray’s Gray Matter blog reading his response to our reading for this week.  He had some good points and made me really think about what the word “web 2.0” actually refers to.  I decided to share my comment as its own blog post here. 🙂

Me:

“I never took the word web 2.0 literally to suggest that we have a whole new web. Yes, technology changes very rapidly all the time, and it has from the beginning. My old brain has a very hard time trying to keep up with the new things happening online constantly. It IS a vague and nondescript term, since there is no tangible “thing” that it refers to. But I guess you don’t even have to use that particular term. We could call it anything we want: shift, change, evolution, transformation. The way I see it, the concept of web 2.0 refers to the change in us more so than the change in the web. And like you said, it makes sense that it was always intended to go in that direction from its inception. But that’s just the point. I think web 2.0 is really about the change from intention to reality. The fact is that 20 years ago, we would not have missed out on too much by not owning a computer; but today, we are so dependent on the web for communication that without it, ….well, we would be completely devastated. My father-in-law is nearing 90, and he’s on Facebook. How crazy is that?”

…and it keeps on changing! 🙂

This entry was posted in Assignments, DS106, Thoughts, etc. and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to More Thoughts on What is Web 2.0?

1. Jim Groom says:

Gray,

I agree, the desire was there, but the ways people are connecting globally now has transformed. How we understand communication as immediate and the apparition of someone across the world as a video vision on your phone seemed scifi just 15 or 20 years ago. I don;t disagree that technology doesn;t simply make collaboration happen, or people become more connected—but I do think the means for sharing and collaborating have changed dramatically for our culture as a result of the technologic infrastructure—what’s more it is changing social relations as a result. How we relating to each other is dramatically changing on a much larger cultural level.

2. Gray Kemmey says:

I don’t think that’s fair though. It’s not a change from intention to reality. It’s not like fifteen years ago the idea of people to people collaboration was just a good intention, it was a reality. For instance, Amazon has allowed users to write and post reviews on products since its launch in 1995. Today the web applications have become more sophisticated and robust, sure, but that’s not because of some new found desire to globally connect people. That was already there.

3. Brian Brown says:

Yes, the fact that people of all ages and types want to go and be apart of his new internet age is incredible. Making what we experience all the more meaningful and diverse