The Train! The Train! – Visual Assignment (5 stars)

Visual Assignment 347: Photo It Like Peanut Butter

Rather than making animated GIFs from movie scenes, for this assignment, generate one a real world object/place by using your own series of photographs as the source material. Bonus points for minmal amounts of movement, the subtle stuff. See a bunch of examples at http://cogdogblog.com/2012/02/10/photo-gif-peanut-butter/

I DID IT!!!!!!!!  Here are my very first animated gif project(s)!!

The Train

Then I tried another idea.

The Station

I set this to play only once.  I wanted to keep you from getting dizzy.  🙂  If it fails, then I’ll reset it to loop.

It didn’t work.  I guess it won’t play unless I set it to loop.  Just scroll this one up out of the way to read the rest of the post. 🙂

It still didn’t work very well.  I had to cut out more than half of it. It was originally supposed to be a 360° view.  You may still get dizzy with this one.   Oh well. I tried.  It worked in my head when I had the idea…

At least the train worked.  🙂

I’ve had these images for several months now, and I’ve been wanting to do something with them.  I didn’t even know what an animated gif was until yesterday, when Jim Groom talked about it during the broadcast of the DS106 class and showed us some.  Then I became determined to figure out how to make one.  So I first read this and this and this.  Then I found THIS, and it was very helpful, although I had to figure out a few things on my own.  I will try to follow up with my own tutorial tomorrow. 🙂  I posted the tutorial HERE.

And…

Back by popular demand…

This is the other version that I had decided not to post because it made me nauseous, but I’m putting it here because I think maybe you wanna see it anyway.   I get motion sickness very easily, so it could be just me.  Let me know what you think . 🙂

Full 360° view

This entry was posted in Assignments, DS106, Visual/Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to The Train! The Train! – Visual Assignment (5 stars)

1. Keelin says:

I really like the first gif on the post and how there is no other movement besides the train passing by. Downtown Fredericksburg is also a great setting for photography.

2. linda says:

LOL Fredvegas!! 🙂 You should definitely go there sometime and take pictures. It feels like a ghost town because there’s hardly anyone there.

3. Wow! Great job Linda! I have a confession to make; I have never been up on the platform of the Fredvegas train station. This is so awesome because now I can say I have seen what (the entire) platform looks like. I also love the one of the train, it runs so smooth! Bravo! I’m determined to get mine done now, just so that I can keep up with your incredible work.

4. Feng Chen says:

This is fantastic, Linda! I am so happy you figured out how to make your own GIF photo!! (Now you’ll have to teach me how haha)
    I love the smoothness of the train and the POV, but here’s an idea, instead of watching the train ride across from the sideways, what if you could see it coming AT YOU? That would be so cool and startling. But that’s just my input 🙂 Good job again!

5. Sam says:

Wow this is great!

6. linda says:

I really like that a lot. I’m gonna make one just like it and post it on its own. 🙂

7. linda says:

I LIKE that!!!! I think it makes it MORE interesting because it never ends. hmm… Now I understand the concept of gif a little more. Thank you! 🙂 I also added the 360 view at the bottom. Let me know what you think.

8. Paul says:

Love both those gifs!

The first one is especially great 😀

9. John says:

Hi Linda,
    Love the train, hope you don’t mind, I made a wee edit to make it longer and less interesting:
    http://johnjohnston.info/images/Train.gif

10. linda says:

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted the gif to portray. I’m glad it comes across. 🙂

11. linda says:

Thank you, norm! I did try the 360, but it just seemed too erratic and dizzying. But I’ll add it at the bottom of the post so you can see my attempt and get ideas on how/if it can be fixed. 🙂

12. linda says:

I’m sure it was just a simple typo, but when I saw “dfs106” above, it really made me laugh. See http://works.bepress.com/john_j_mccarthy/11/… cause the emphasis kinda fits. Freudian slip of the fingers, perhaps? hahaha 🙂

yes… lack of sleep must be catching up to me. lol

13. Jim Groom says:

Two more things:

1) I love that you took this at the Fredericskburg Train station, it brings the local experience into an assignment I associate almost exclusively with pop culture.
    2) The POV experience on the second image of someone looking for trains is beautiful.

14. Jim Groom says:

I have a two year old that we take to the train station everyday so he can see the trains pas by, now we don;t have to. Brilliant work, you are killing dfs106, and I love watching you go.

15. Norm Wright says:

That second one is fantastic. A great idea for a panorama sequence of shots. It would be cool to make one that goes all the way around – 360.
    I like that guy walking around on the platform. There’s like a mini-story in that.

I posted an animated movie poster assignment a couple weeks ago. I don’t think anyone noticed cause it was right around the time the blog hacking problem broke out.

Anyway, I really like what you’ve been doing here. I wish I could find more time for myself. Too many ideas, so little time.

16. Ben says:

I like the way you made the camera pan back and forth at the station. It’s like the way one might look up and down the track, looking for an incoming train, or search for someone at the station.

17. Giulia says:

So awesome, well done! Lookin at it on my i*device & runs so smooth!

18. Mandi says:

This is great! It looks almost like a video, it’s so smooth!