Street Vendors of Korea

For today’s Daily Create, the assignment was to take a photo of food being served or eaten in an unconventional way.  I immediately thought of my 10-day trip to Korea in 2010.  I chose the first image below for my TDC, but I decided to do a whole blog post featuring a series of these photos.  It was my first trip back since my family moved to the States in 1976.  I was very excited when I got this chance to go back and wanted to remember every moment.  I took pictures of everything and posted a daily set of photos on Facebook at the time for my family and friends to vicariously experience the trip with me.  I only had my Canon Powershot back then, but I still got some great shots.  In looking through them today, I remembered that I was infinitely more interested in the hidden nuances of my home country that you would never see in the travel brochures than other usual attractions.  I took these photos of the street vendors in various shopping districts and outdoor markets.  I picked out several to share with you here.  I don’t know if other Koreans would be particularly proud to show this side of Korea.  They are funny like that.  But I was incredibly proud of and fascinated by these hard-working people. 🙂    You can see in their faces that they all have their stories to tell.  I wish I would have asked them…

I posted this one for TDC.  It’s my favorite among the group.  These are vendors in Myungdong shopping district in Seoul.

Another vendor in Myungdong.  He’s making a Japanese snack that tastes similar to baklava.

Her business is called “Grandma’s Soon-dae.”  She sells Korean blood sausages at the outdoor market in the city of Songtan. U.S. Air Force has a military base in Songtan.

Vendor on the streets of Songtan.  This is a stand where you can buy Korean style popcorn.  You can find all sorts of popped rice snacks here.

This was taken at the Namdaemun shopping district in Seoul.  These are one of my favorite Korean snacks, pastries filled with red beans.  They are only good when they are freshly made, so you have to eat them right there on the spot. 🙂  She was not too happy about getting her picture taken, but she reluctantly allowed me to take this photo after I explained to her how much I love these snacks.

Another one taken at the Namdaemun shopping district.  She sells steamed corn and sweet potatoes, as well as an assortment of uncooked beans.  …and why is that office chair in the middle of the street?

Another one from Namdaemun.  This is one of my favorites.  I thought she was so cute with her leopard print coat and her pearl earrings.  Can you imagine sitting there and roasting chestnuts all day?  And what is that down in the lower left corner of the photo?  It’s dried and pressed octopus!! eeeeek!!!

These ladies are making meat buns in the food court at the Shinsegae Department Store in Seoul.

This entry was posted in DS106, Thoughts, etc. and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Street Vendors of Korea

1. Pingback: TDC Week 5 : neverthesameriver

2. rmcguirk says:

I LOVE spicy korean food! and these pictures are fantastic. However, I could never get into kimchi, maybe it’s the cabbage?

3. Feng Chen says:

I agree with ^Prof. Groom 🙂 Every time I come to your blog, it’s like there’s always a story behind every daily create or assignment. You are born to do this, Linda!

P.S. please make me dukbokki(?) and bulgogi(?)! 😀

4. Jim Groom says:

I really love how your blog is becoming your story. This is the vision of ds106 and it is beautifully articulated here. Your space, your narrative, your story, and brought to life by your creativity. Brava!

5. linda says:

Beware. It’s verrrrrrry spicy!! 🙂

I have many pictures of all the awesome food I ate there, but I decided to just pick out the pictures of the street vendors to showcase here.

6. Paul Waltsak says:

Ohhh my goodness, that first picture, I want to dive right in and devour some of that food. Looks delicious! 🙂