Animated Forrest Gump: Design Assignment

Design Assignment 313:  Pick a movie poster and animate it. You can see an awesome example and quick explanation by Michael Branson Smith here.

The Product:

The Process:

It took me only a few minutes of contemplation to come up with this idea, but the execution was a lot more involved than I thought.  That always seems to be the case, though.  When I see my idea in my head, it always seems very easy and simple.  No problem.  But when I start working on it, it’s a whole new ball park.

More to come…

This entry was posted in Assignments, Design, DS106 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Animated Forrest Gump: Design Assignment

1. I love your animated Forest Gump poster, and I love the movie! You did a great job incorporating the animation into the poster!

2. rmcguirk says:

Isn’t that the truth, but it looks awesome!

3. cali4beach says:

this is amazing! 🙂

4. Megan says:

Well, now I don’t have to finish my animated poster. Ha, I was working on something similar except I was going to do the floating feather across the poster.
    This is an amazing job! I love how you made Forrest watch the ball bounce around the poster, I hadn’t even thought of that.

5. Jim Groom says:

Linda,

I love the idea that the ping pong running through the movie poster is both an excellent effect, but also highlights another element of the movie to the poster. What’s more, the way is neck movies in the animation is very Gump. Brilliant work.

6. Norm Wright says:

I like the way the ball bounces off the text. Clever.

7. linda says:

🙂 !

8. linda says:

Thanks, Daniel! You’re right! I can now hear it too. haha.

9. linda says:

Thank you! The neck part did give me some trouble, which is why it took me so much longer than I thought. But it seems that I always manage to find the longest way around a problem. *sigh*

10. linda says:

I’ll work on that tomorrow. 🙂

11. I can hear Tom Hanks saying, “Look at the ball Jenny!” in my head. This awesome. I really love how you made his neck extend as it moved, how much work was that part? Great job, as always!

12. Great job with the neck extension. I bet that took some work to create. And the following the bouncing ball is awesome!

13. Feng Chen says:

Linda, why are you so friggin’ amazing and artistic??? Tutorials please!