DS106 Propoganda – Design Assignment

Design Assignment 367:  Time to let out your inner Big Brother! Create a propaganda poster for ds106. Use your photo editing software of choice and write a message to inspire your fellow ds106ers. For example, I took a WW2 poster about increasing ammunition production, and turned it into a poster promoting tweeting.

I witnessed Daniel come up with this design assignment idea, work on it, and reveal his work in real time on twitter (see below), and it was so much fun to share in his excitement!  I cannot express enough how great it is to be part of a community that shares their enormous ongoing creative energy and also feed off of that energy from each other.  Who would’ve thunk? AHHHHH!  and right at this very moment, I came up with ANOTHER IDEA!!  I’m not kidding!

Product 1:

Product 2:

This one didn’t turn out so well. Font problems…

The Process:

I found the propaganda posters HERE and HERE and went to work on Photoshop CS4.  I had the most trouble with the fonts, but after cutting, pasting, matching colors with the dropper and paint tool, I got them to look fairly decent.

Here are the side by side views of before and after:

For the “Big Brother” poster, I found the below photo of Jim Groom HERE and edited it as follows:

1. Made it a little brighter by adjusting the levels in:  Image–>Adjustments–>Levels.
  2. Gave it a posterized effect by:  Filter–>Artistic–>Poster Edges and played with the adjustments there.
  3. Changed it to black and white and added the brownish tint by:  Image–>Adjustments–>Black&White–>Tint.
  4. Added the letters “DS” and “106” on his sunglasses by using “cracked” font and then added the word again at the bottom but larger.
  5. Picked up the light brownish color from his face with the dropper tool and changed the color of the word “DS106,” then lowered the opacity a little by using the opacity lever in the layers window.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to DS106 Propoganda – Design Assignment

1. linda says:

yeah… I love the idea of the creativity bouncing around back and forth in DS106. While I was writing up this post, I was thinking, “it’s almost like the energy itself is alive…” Then BAM! I got my movie poster idea! 😀

2. linda says:

Thanks, Brian! It WAS a bit of a struggle to manipulate the images. But it was fun.

3. I love this!!! This is so exciting to see how everyone’s creativity is snowballing off of everyone else in the class. I was totally going to do the big brother is watching one, but yours is much better than what I had imagined. So much awesomeness.

4. Brian Brown says:

Thanks for sharing the process. It seems simple when you think about it, but (beyond just choosing a font) making sure it fits with the original image is something I’m struggling with.

These posters definitely need to be printed out and put up in the class