Romancing the past…

For our TDC assignment yesterday, I submitted a photo that represented my past career with the FBI.  It always takes me by surprise when I realize how long it has been.  Yet it still seems like yesterday.  I remembered this poster I designed in an introductory digital art class I took last summer and decided to share it here.  The assignment was to design a fictional movie poster that would depict something about your life.

I had to exaggerate the suspense a teeny bit for effect, as you can see. 😉

Working for the FBI was a great learning experience for me; and during the last few years I worked there, I was on a surveillance team with ten other wonderful people.  Our team name was “Alpha,” and my handle was Alpha-10.  The work was very interesting, indeed, but the bond we formed as a team is what I miss the most.

The below photo was taken a few days ago when I caught up with a former team-mate to have dinner with her.  She was on assignment in this area.  I hadn’t seen her in 15 years.  After our days on the team, she went on to become a Special Agent and I became a mom.

I felt a small pang of envy as I listened to the stories from the path she chose, but I wouldn’t trade my last 20 years for anything in the world. 🙂

This entry was posted in DS106, Thoughts, etc. and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Romancing the past…

1. linda says:

Thanks, Mandi! I love your stories as well!!

2. Mandi says:

This is so cool! I love seeing stories like this. I feel like ds106 is helping me remember stories from my past, too. It’s nice to have a way to bring them back to life again, just as you’ve done here. 🙂

3. linda says:

🙂 probably not quite as cool, but definitely more worthwhile!

4. Emily Deane says:

This is amazing! Aside from the coolness factor of previously being in the FBI, the whole thing is really touching. I don’t know from personal experience, but I can imagine that being a mom involves just as much work, time, and dedication as being in the FBI, if not more. 🙂

5. linda says:

haha. Yes. I quickly edited the tagline before posting this, and in my rush, I missed the typo.

No, I didn’t take it as a criticism. 🙂

6. Hi Linda … Thanks for clarifying your past and also for providing links to the SSG. I often tell other educators that it is important to read the Comments following a post. They may be surprised to find a “nugget” or information that is, in fact, more useful that the initial post.

Please understand that I was not being critical of your spelling. Rather, I thought that you were purposefully misspelling the FBI rank in case the FBI became critical of your “fabrication”.

Thanks for setting the story straight.

Take care & keep smiling 🙂 Brian

7. linda says:

aww… Thank you, Sarah! That’s too kind.

8. linda says:

Thanks, Brian!

and Yes! Gene Hackman in a climactic car chase scene!! 🙂

9. linda says:

And yes, it is the truth. 🙂 My husband is also a former Agent.

10. sarah says:

you are just too amazing. I can’t point out one thing id do better, you rock these assignments!

11. linda says:

and OMG! There’s a typo on there!!!! Ahhhh!!!! I have to fix it right away!!!

Anyway, Investigative Specialist is the job title given to people on the SSG (Special Support Group). These two links will help you understand it better. 🙂

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92207687

http://www.fbijobs.gov/127.asp

12. Brian Short says:

Great post. Thoughtful and touching. I also love the graphic! Looks like something Gene Hackman would’ve starred in circa 1991.

13. Hi Linda … You continue to amaze me with your “background” story and the the talents you displayed in your “Alpha 10” poster. I was interested in your FBI job classification of “Investigave Specialist”. Having never heard of this term, I Googled it, only to find the closest reference to be “Investigative Specialist”. I apologize for being so anal … but “inquiring minds want to know” Is this former job the truth or is it a fabrication that is worthy of the Reverend’s blessing? 🙂

Take care & keep smiling 🙂 Brian