Making of AMCX Radio Show (Part 2): Kim Droom Interview

This is the final cut version of Part 2 of my crime report:

Hmm… how do I describe Kim Droom?  In a word, he is complicated@jimgroom was gracious enough to agree (on behalf of Kim Droom) to do an interview for our AMCX radio show.  I wanted to interview Droom in order to get an update on his investigation into the hacking incident several weeks ago, shortly after the semester began.  If you are not familiar with the story, you can check out this video.

I had thought it would be a very short interview.  …just a few quick questions and answers.  Easy.  Little did I know about Detective Droom’s tendency to go off on many tangents!  I had written out my questions, but we had no script and went off the cuff.  After three takes, we had three different interviews and three very different varieties of tangents.  They were 8:04, 8:22, and 11:14 in length!!  Here they are, if you find yourself interested in listening to the raw footage:

Kim droom 1 by linda3dots

Kim droom 2 by linda3dots

Kim droom 3 by linda3dots

At first, I was overwhelmed by the amount of material I had to work with, but soon realized that the more I had the better.  I can pick and choose the best responses and cut and edit any way I want!  So I listened to all three takes several times and took notes on them.  Out of all three takes, I picked out the responses that would blend together well to give the interview a good flow.  It was many hours of edit-listen-edit-listen-edit-listen-edit, etc. etc. etc…  You get the idea.

One revelation I should share here is that working long hours on a project and getting to know it intimately is much like developing a relationship with a person.  One becomes very attached to one’s project as one spends more and more time with it.

Surprisingly, I was able to piece together a fun and interesting interview much better than I had anticipated.  But it was rather long –  8:16.  I started out hoping for about 5:00, but I liked it a lot and could not find anymore places where I wanted to cut.  Listen for yourself:

@jimgroom suggested that I try to cut it down to half the length.  In the meantime, I came up with the idea to insert some sound clips that I thought would fit perfectly into several places in the interview, which would add more time.  What to do? What to do…

I took a deep breath and started cutting again.  C….c…ut.  Tears.   C…c…c…c….ut.  Some more tears (ok… not real tears, but I teared up on the inside).  Cut. Cut. Cut. Cut. Cut.  I finally got to a point where I just could not cut anymore and ended up with 5:43 that is at the top of this post.  If you want me to cut more than that, you’ll have to do it yourself after you drag me kicking and screaming from my computer.  So there!

The moral of this story?

• With the raw footage, more is better.

• With the finished product, less is more.  🙂

This entry was posted in Assignments, Audio, DS106, Thoughts, etc. and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.