Thoughts on the Final Project

I met with Rachel today to talk about some ideas for our final project.  Her idea was to do a hyperlink project where we can link the many characteristics of DS106 all in one place, with an image for the home page that will have hyperlinks attached to it.  She was thinking something like this.  The following ensued:

• After about 30 minutes of brainstorming, we came up with the idea that we should make an image of a circuit board inside of a brain.
  • The hyperlinks can be attached to the various dots on the board.  For the content, we wanted to include:nside jokes of DS106, such as Emre5807 and Kim Droom, Bagman/Allygator debate, Bryan Alexander and cat, etc., so that anyone visiting the site would know why we find these things so funny.
  • Another major focus will be about the community of DS106 – Somehow help the DS106 students from other parts of the country/world, as well as online students, to stay more connected and access each other’s work.
  • Rachel loved my idea of using the word INSPIRE, because it comes from the Latin word spiro, which means “to breathe.”  I was thinking we could do something with the words INSPIRE, ASPIRE, CONSPIRE, and TRANSPIRE, and try to relate them to DS106 somehow, but maybe that’s too much.  We tentatively named our project “Project in[SPIRE]”.
  • So we had the general concept started.
  • We stopped by the office on our way out and met with Jim and Alan to propose our idea, and they loved it and were eager to help us.  Yay! (This thing has the potential of blowing up beyond our abilities, but we decided to go for it.)
  • Jim had the idea of making it a place where anyone can contribute, or link tags to the pages to pull in everyone’s work as they are being done…  the ever-growing sort of a thing. hmm… intriguing.
  • On my way home I thought of the idea of a bilateral brain.  Instead of filling the whole brain with a circuit board, why not split it in half?  Have one-half be the human side, and the other half be the digital side….sort of like left brain/right brain.  The human side of the brain can hold the links about the human connections in DS-106, as well as all of the inside jokes, background stories… you know, all the stuff that makes DS-106 feel like a family.
  • The digital half of the brain can hold the links to the technical stuff, tutorials, projects, etc.
  • Then I re-visited my thoughts on the word inspire and suddenly got the urge to design something.  After a few hours, I came up with one.  You can see it here.
  • Tomorrow, I will start on the image of the bilateral brain.  I’m not sure how elaborate it should be…  I think I will stick with my philosophy of simplicity and see what I can come up with.

Some other thoughts about my desire for the final product:

• It should be simple and easy to navigate.
  • It should include a section where someone can easily get an overview of what DS106 is.
  • It could include a section with testimonials (we can use the 3/14/12 TDC assignments).
  • It should have a section with all the background stories of the inside jokes.
  • Could it map out DS106 groups and communities within the big community on the image of the circuit board?
  • Those are my thoughts.  Please feel free to comment.

This entry was posted in DS106, Final Project, Thoughts, etc. and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Thoughts on the Final Project

1. Pingback: Introducing ds106 in[SPIRE] | bavatuesdays

2. Jim Groom says:

You know I am a fan of this final project and you and Rachel have been killing it. I think you have a pretty solid framework now, so let me know what you need going forward.

3. Pingback: The DS106 Brain : neverthesameriver

4. Pingback: A Random Urge to Design : neverthesameriver