Killing 3 Birds

Here’s what you call killing 3 birds with one stone:

1.  Finish a part of an assignment for another class (History of Psych).

2.  Use it as a DS106 video assignment idea submission. (I think this should be 5 stars)

3.  Get stars for completing my own assignment idea.

Why not?  The whole point of my taking DS106 is to help me to be creative in other classes and all other aspects of my daily life.  I think it’s completely appropriate. 🙂

This assignment took me about 15 hours to execute, and it only accounts for 1.5 minutes of the 10-minute movie my team is working on for our History of Psychology project.

First, I had the following information contained in an article:

Briefly, Jones treated Peter’s extant fear of a white rabbit with a variety of fear-reducing procedures. The most successful procedure was that of “direct conditioning,” in which a pleasant stimulus (food) was presented simultaneously with the rabbit. As the rabbit was gradually brought closer to him in the presence of his favorite food, Peter grew more tolerant, and was able to touch it without fear.

Then I found the following image, which immediately gave me an idea for this portion of our movie.

Resulting Video:

After 15 hours of ad tedium, here’s what I came up with based on the above information:

UPDATE:  You can see the complete video here.

This entry was posted in Assignments, DS106, Video and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Killing 3 Birds

1. Pingback: The Biggest of 3 Birds Finally Finished! : neverthesameriver

2. Jim Groom says:

Using work for s106 for other classes is the ream, and getting stars while submitting a new assignment is smart an efficient. Spending 15 hours on a video project is nuts though 😉 I’d be very interested to see how this video was received by the rest of your Psych class, I think it demonstrates the points so brilliants, kudos.

3. You did a great job! I like the way the transition wasn’t painful, it was smooth. And as others already said, the background music helped. I also love the psychology 🙂

4. Pingback: Killing 3 Birds (Part 2, the Prequel) : neverthesameriver

5. This was great! It is obvious you put so much work into it. I loved the background music helped the video flow nicely. Also, way to use something from another class for this one, love recycling! 🙂

6. linda says:

She got the inspiration for this study from the Little Albert study by J.B. Watson. Watson worked as a consultant on this one. The difference between the two studies was that Watson instilled the fear in Albert, whereas Jones eliminated the fear in Peter.

7. Tyler says:

Holy crap that picture of the rabbit at 18 seconds. Anyways this reminds me a lot of the little Albert experiment.